Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


How can a foreign national obtain work status in the US through Investment?

E-2 Non-immigrant status is available to a foreign national who makes a substantial investment in a business in the US. Substantial is not quantified and the amount required depends on the nature of the business. However, the investment must be more than simply to provide a living for the investor and his or her family. Under a different program, called the EB-5 Investor Program a foreign national can make an investment to obtain permanent residency by making an investment of 1 million ($500,000 in certain designated high unemployment areas), and provide proof of the establishment of US jobs. This kind of investment can also be done through a Regional Center and there are several of these throughout the U.S.